Sunday, March 25, 2012

Reflective Practice


Reflection is something every teacher does.  It just might take place in different forms.  It makes us more aware of our strengths and weaknesses as teachers and the learning outcomes of our students.  It also makes us aware of what we could do better, differently or need support or assistance in.  In my usual Youtube browsing I came across these;





Reflective Practice.  The more I watched, and read as I also looked at some articles, the more I realized that I didn't fully understand what reflective practice was. I didn't consider I did a great deal of reflection on my teaching, and what I did do was usually in conversation with other teaching or educational professionals and with my husband after the class.  I have learnt that, despite what I thought  I am always reflecting on my teaching and using the thoughts to adapt my practices in the classroom ALL THE TIME! 

As a casual relief teacher we are constantly learning as we interact with new classes and new students.  We are also continually reflecting as we adjust what we do in each new class and for each new student.  Not one day is the same as another, whether you have the same class of students for a week or a new class every day.  Reflection In Action (RIA) is a large part of our jobs.

Reflection is a tool that allows us to change course as needed so it not only makes our lives as CRTs easier, it assists us to become better teachers.  So take a small amount of time out of each day and reflect on your teaching (ROA).  You might be surprised with what you learn about yourself as a teacher!

While VIT wants us to reflect on Professional Development opportunities, a little reflection every day on your own performance is a great doorway into seeing what kind of teacher you really are!  Here are a couple of articles and another video that I found on reflection, feel free to take what you want from them and let the rest just fall away.


 

Regards,

Mel.

No comments:

Post a Comment