Saturday, April 20, 2013

Who do you want to be as a CRT?

I sometimes run into people who don't understand how important that question is.

Everyone needs something to aspire to.  Otherwise, no matter how much you love your job, you go through disheartening periods where you feel like you are stuck in a rut.  Life's just like that without change and evolution.  Have you ever been stuck in a rut?  In any aspect of your life?  Think back on it and critically examine whether your performance in any area was up to your usual quality in everything you did.

That's right, being disappointed with one aspect of your life can have detrimental effects on others.  A bad day at work sees you go home and snap at your loved ones or friends.  Or perhaps just lead to general lethargy where motivation becomes hard to come by and you just do what you need to in order to "go through the motions".

It is important for every aspect of your life that you have what you consider to be a good professional identity!  How do you go about building yourself one though?

Your own personal desires are quite often the best motivator and understanding who you want to be as a CRT is a good look into what those desires are.  This will help drive your search for the right mentors and role models, the appropriate PD opportunities, the most relevant online reading and so much more.  Knowing who you want to be as a CRT provides direction.  Your own personal road map to career satisfaction and a happy life.

The other part of this is outside recognition of your professional identity.  The indicators that the direction you are going in is the right one.  Feeling valued by others.  Do you feel valued at work when schools treat you as a "lesser" teacher?  Or worse, a glorified babysitter?  Of course you don't.  All too often we are caught up in delivering what a school wants in order to keep ourselves in work because, let's face it, our pay check is sometimes the only encouragement we get for doing our job well.  The more we work, the bigger the paycheque, the bigger the reward for doing our job well.

Money is important, granted, however I work in another currencies too.  A settled classroom.  Smiles from students.  A greater volume of work from reluctant learners.  Right through to when students see me and say "do we have you today Mrs L?" with a hopeful look in their eye.  The last being the most priceless.  These are all things that tell me that who I am as a CRT is valuable without having to rely on educational institutions handing me a dollar or saying a word.

The students are telling me I'm getting closer to who I want to be as a CRT.  Their smiles and their work and their hopes are what make me smile, make me work harder and never lose hope!

I feel that I've done a good job.  My students feel that I've done a good job.  The schools pays me for doing that good job.  I am happier.  My family is happier.

Every day I can wake up loving my life.

Regards,

Mel.

No comments:

Post a Comment