Sunday, June 3, 2012

Technology - Disconnecting the classroom?

Here's an interesting fact for you;  Did you know that there is more computing power in the average pocket calculator than was used to put the first humans on the moon?

It seems like each passing minute results in something in the techology world being invented, made better or made smaller. Mobile phones are now a computer in your pocket, the internet gets quicker and hands-on learning applications have taken the world by storm. Every classroom I walk into either has an interactive whiteboard, COWs (Computers On Wheels), one-to-one computers, OR a combination of all three. Ipads and other Tablet PCs are also slowly appearing.

The 21st Century classroom is here and students are taking every opportunity to engage, learn and explore every aspect of this technology they they can. (I would too if I was a student!) But is all this technology a good thing in every aspect of students' lives? The below video by TED opened my eyes to how technology is affecting students and the social aspects of growing up.




I attended a CyberSMART PD back in 2009 and certain figures astonshed me.  Children as young as year 3 and 4 had a mobile phone in working order.  Sorry I should point out that this figure didn't amaze me, but the fact that some of these children had more than one working mobile phone did.

Figures like most year 5 and 6 students have more than one email account.  The figures on the use of programs like Facebook and Skype are high enough that they have become "normal".

As an adult and a Teacher I admit that I use technology on a daily basis.  When I sat back and thought about it though, I still don't consider it "normal".  I consider things like the computers, Tablet PCs, interactive whiteboards, the internet and mobile phone networks as tools that make my life more managable.

Students today view these things in exactly the same way as we used to think about riding a bicycle when we were their age.  Did you ever consider a bicycle a handy tool for transport?  I certainly didn't, it was just "my bike".  Riding a bike was just something that everyone I know did as a normal part of life.  That students today are placing their bike and the internet on roughly the same level of "normal"?  That is kind of mind-blowing...

I do wonder sometimes whether traditional pen and paper exercises are becoming more engaging in older classes simply because of the novelty value. 

Did You Know? - An interesting video on some technological facts

As Teachers it's getting more and more important to keep up with these technological wonders.  If not?  We run a genuine risk of becoming disconnected from the students we teach.  If they relate to technology like we related to our bike?  How can we hope to understand what's going on in their heads and plan based on the teaching strategies that will engage and educate them?

And don't look to me for answers, I have some problems with this one myself.  If you have any handy hints and tips?  I'd love for you to leave them in the comments!

Regards,

Mel.

No comments:

Post a Comment