Thursday, December 11, 2014

Sometimes it pays to be a little crazy...



The other day we were heading down to practice for the end of year school concert and I had been recruited to help walk a couple of classes to the venue.  We were using the Catholic College hall which is about a 15 minute walk, it used to be right across the road but we moved into a new school this year.  Wearing my reindeer antler headband I walked into the first classroom that was in the group I was with; the students are used to me having something "Christmasy" on by now and are getting into the Christmas mood.

One of the students had one of those small self-adhesive bows that you stick onto presents to "special them up" but the self-adhesive backing was gone.  Red of course.  He came running up to me "Mel, Mel, Mel!  You should use this as your nose, then you could be Rudolph!" and foisted it on me.  Of course we all had a good laugh as I held it over my nose.

The class' teacher waited for everything to subside and sidled up to me, "Mel, we have a bit of a problem".  Uh oh.  4 out of the 6 students in her class just didn't want to go (not an uncommon problem in special development and one that is not necessarily easy to overcome).

So I stepped forward and said "I'll make you guys a deal.  If you all come down to practice, I will wear the Rudolph nose all of the way there".

"Yeah right, Mel" came from the class, bracketed with giggles and guffaws.

I smiled with them and then went through to collect the other class we were going with.  When I re-emerged it was with the Rudolph nose firmly in place.  One quick clap to draw attention and I said "Right, Let's Go!".  After a few looks of disbelief and a few more giggles, all 6 got up and joined us, ready for the walk.  Problem solved.

As soon as their backs were turned the classroom teacher looked at me gratefully, holding her clasped hands under her chin mouthing "Thank you so much!"

What's odd is no-one snapped any embarrassing photos with their phone on the way...

You know what?  I love my job.

Regards,

Mel.

No comments:

Post a Comment