Tuesday, February 25, 2014

'Quenching Crankiness'. Finding professional reading articles in unlikely areas.

I took my son to the local GP last week for a check up and while sitting in the waiting room I found something that grabbed my interest.  This clinic was putting out a two page patient information leaflet addressing different medical conditions and general health advice.  I read through the first leaflet (they even had a cross word to complete with all the answers contained in the articles in this edition) and wow, this was great.

I could even go to the doctor's office and gain some Professional Reading time!  I scanned the front of the leaflet again and found that I was reading December's edition.  There was more?

We were called in by my son's doctor at this stage and the leaflet was pushed to the back of my memory until we were back out at the desk paying for the appointment.  Out of the corner of my eye I saw the mother-load.  There were three piles of leaflets for the last three months (Dec 2013, Jan 2014 and this month's, Feb 2014).  I made sure I picked up one for each before we headed for the door.

I have since read each leaflet cover to cover, taking in the information on offer.  Professional Reading and lesson ideas can sometimes pop up in the most unlikely of places.  I just wanted to remind you to keep your eyes open, wherever you are, and you might be amazed at what you sometimes find.

The link below is to one of the articles from the January 2014 edition on water and how important it is for all of us to drink.  Am I cranky in the classroom because I forgot to have a good drink?  Are my students cranky from forgetting to have a good drink after a stint in a hot and sunny playground?  Of course it's not telling me anything that I don't already know but a solid reminder to put us back on our toes is a good thing every once in a while!


https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=D641AD8750D17A5%211913

This article could also be used in the classroom in literacy, mathematics. health and physical education too!

Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment